Thursday, February 5, 2009

1962 Barbie Dream House

I came across this on eBay the other day, and can't get over how freaking cute it is. This is the original Barbie Dream House - the first one they ever came out with. I don't know about you, but I would have died for one of those Barbie Townhouses in the early 70's - the one with the elevator? My parents got me the Barbie Country House (which is also on eBay) instead one year for Christmas, and I think I probably should have had therapy over the disappointment.
d7fe_12
The whole thing is cardboard, so complete ones in good shape are pretty rare. Still, these only cost about $30.
198436149_tp
I want my front door to look like that!
5d7f_1
Doesn't this look like a Domino spread? *sniffle!* Check out the open top record player. We had one of those - and there are record albums with real titles, and books, and little cardboard pillows. All of the furniture is folded and put together.
5802_1
here's a longer view - Love the pink interior of Barbie's closet - and that picture on the wall.
5bc9_1
Here's a closer look. Cool huh?

Looking for more info, I ran across this great little essay on the subject of the early Dream House - check it out.

6 comments:

andreabitar said...

Don't hate me but I had the Barbie house with the elevator (though I remember it being called the Barbie Town House, as the Dream House was something even more decadent). It was seriously one of the highlights of my childhood and my sister and I played with it for years and year.

Sarah's Fab Day said...

My grandparents had this, some of the furniture was missing but I loved it!

Ann Donnelly said...

I had both. The Dream House was given to me as a hand me down from my older brother's girlfriend. I wanted to really live IN it. My mother got me the Town House with elevator (spending more money then she probably could back then) when I was older and just about the age of outgrowing Barbie's so didn't get as much use out of it.

Thanks for posting the pictures because it is something I'd wish I still had.

momunderseige said...

I got this for Christmas one year. I loved it.

Gale W. said...

I had this Barbie house. Loved playing with it as a kid. Of course, I am still kicking myself when I gave it away. Still have my Barbie dolls, Midge and Ken from the early 60’s.

Lostinsouthbama said...

I received that house as a Christmas present in the day. Loved it for years, wish I still had it. Thanks for posting